[Bro-Dev] cmake/install question

Jonathan Siwek jsiwek at ncsa.illinois.edu
Thu Jan 27 11:03:04 PST 2011

> I'm running into different problems with my multi-user setup:
>
> Compiling as user robin:
>
> [in ~robin/bro/master/]
> > rm -rf build
> > ./configure --prefix=/home/bro/ --enable-cluster
> > (cd build && make -j 8)
>
> Installing as user bro:
>
> [in ~bro/]
> > ( cd ~robin/bro/master && make install )
> ( cd build && make install )
> CMake Error: Could not open file for write in copy operation
> /home/robin/bro/master/build/cmake_uninstall.cmake.tmp
> CMake Error: : System Error: Permission denied
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:18 (configure_file):
> configure_file Problem configuring file
>

> CMake Error: Could not open file for write in copy operation
> /home/robin/bro/master/build/bro-path-dev.tmp
> CMake Error: : System Error: Permission denied
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:39 (configure_file):
> configure_file Problem configuring file
>
> [...]
>
> That looks like it's now trying again to write into the build
> directory on "make install"?

Yeah, but AFAIK the stuff it's trying to write doesn't normally happen on every `make install`, it only happens when part of the CMake framework changes and it determines that it has to "reconfigure" and produce a new cache.  You should be able to look further down in the output that got clipped out of your last email and see the "build summary" outputs?  That should be a signal that this is what's occurring.

Did something happen between the `make` as user robin and the `make install` as user bro?

I can make the same thing happen if I just stick a `touch CMakeLists.txt` in between those two steps.

> This is cmake 2.8.2 if that matters.

I was able to produce the same behavior w/ 2.8.3 as explained above.