[Bro-Dev] New logging architecture

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Jul 4 21:40:04 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 18:40 -0400, you wrote:

> So, let's drop everything but LogMessage, and enable an additional
> heartbeat message that gets broadcast once every 15 seconds (in the
> absence of a LogMessage).  If the subscriber misses two consecutive
> heartbeats, it's safe to assume the publisher is no longer broadcasting,
> and the subscriber shuts down.

Hmmm ... So this is something that would be needed for communication
to external but it wouldn't if we did just in inproc, right? Not sure
I like it then. It makes the internal communication between LogMgr and
LogWriter quite complex for a case that'll be pretty rarely used
later.

Here's an alternative suggestion: why don't we leave the
LogMgr-to-LogWriter channel simple and just do inproc communication
there. Then, in addition, we can create a LogForwarder class derived
from LogWriter that in turn uses 0mq to talk to the outside the work.
This forwarder can be as complex as needed, and just like any other
writer it would run in its own thread.

Does that make sense?

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org