[Bro-Dev] 0MQ security considerations

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Jul 7 12:38:36 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 13:21 -0500, you wrote:

> In general, I'm getting the feeling that even the original idea of "let's
> just try replacing the socket code with 0MQ and increment upon that" isn't
> going to be easy, and to really take advantage of 0MQ's strengths requires
> some redesign.

I'm getting that feeling as well, and I'm starting to wonder whether
0mq is the right tool for us at all. I'd really like to replace just
the socket code with something more robust initially. We may overhaul
the whole serialization (with its caching, lack of support for
broadcasts, etc.) at some point as well but I think that's orthogonal
and better done later/separately.

Does anybody know other options for the communication layer? Ideally,
it would be *C* library so Broccoli can use it directly as well.

And: one conceptal change that we might consider is having Bro itslef
actually use Broccoli and then handle all the communication in there.

Rovin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org