[Bro-Dev] 0MQ security considerations

Adam J. Slagell slagell at ncsa.illinois.edu
Thu Jul 28 08:52:03 PDT 2011

On Jul 28, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Matthias Vallentin wrote:

> I am asking because
> because a general there should be a (close to) 1:1 ratio between
> available cores and number of user-level threads, mainly to avoid
> thrashing and increase cache performance.

We don't know how many cores the user will have and how many are virtual (hyperthreading). Due to the direction hardware is heading, I think if we estimate and hard code it in the design, it will soon be an underestimate. Therefore, I would probably err on the side of more threads than is typical in a server today when designing a multi-threaded architecture.

------
Adam J. Slagell, CISSP
Sr. Security Engineer
www.slagell.info