[Bro-Dev] 0MQ security considerations

Matthias Vallentin vallentin at icir.org
Thu Jul 28 09:01:15 PDT 2011

> We don't know how many cores the user will have and how many are
> virtual (hyperthreading). Due to the direction hardware is heading, I
> think if we estimate and hard code it in the design, it will soon be
> an underestimate. Therefore, I would probably err on the side of more
> threads than is typical in a server today when designing a
> multi-threaded architecture.

One way to get around this is to just have a command line switch that
specifies the number of threads to use in total. This would override the
default concurrency level as detected by the application (i.e., the
number of cores exposed by the OS). The applications than somehow
internally distributes the number of available threads over the
asynchronous components.

In fact, one often uses a slightly tweaked ratio with a little more
threads than what the hardware exposes, as it achieves better
saturation. (I guess that's what you mean by "err on the side of more
threads.")

    Matthias