[Bro-Dev] 0MQ security considerations

Matthias Vallentin vallentin at icir.org
Sun Jul 31 05:27:38 PDT 2011

> Sure, if it wouldn't be too much trouble :)  I'd love to see how they
> manage to do that.

The project is called Lithe and has it's own web presence here:

    http://parlab.eecs.berkeley.edu/lithe

I haven't looked into yet, but the linked paper is probably the best way
to absorb the details.

> To answer the question: a bro log stream is defined by three things -- a
> path (where do I write), a record type (what do I write), and a writer
> type (how do I write).

Got it.

> Yeah, that was the intent.  Wasn't really sure quite how to illustrate
> that; any thoughts on a better way?

Not really. Maybe several boxes inside the QueueInterface to illustrate
that "there is something going on" inside this intelligent queue?!

> The queue was thrown together pretty quickly; it's largely targeted
> for single producer / single consumer, but I believe multiple producer
> / single consumer should work as well.

If it works, it works. I was just curious about the implementation.

> Trying to use multiple consumers with this queue would likely result in
> some kind of universe-ending quantum event involving the LHC, the
> deflector dish on the USS Enterprise, and a relatively cute kitten with
> gray fur and black tiger stripes.

I see... the kitten could cause real trouble [1].

> If you'd happen to know of a good way to measure contention on a Linux
> system, I'd love to hear about it;

I've only used Google perftools thus far to profile CPU and heap, but
haven't come across something similar for I/O.

    Matthias

[1] http://www.psiopradio.com/wp-content/uploads/sniper_kitten1.jpg