[Bro-Dev] Loading directories

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Wed Jun 1 12:22:33 PDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Robin Sommer wrote:

> What I'm wondering hiwer is whether we should move "foo.bro" into the
> subdirectory under some magic name (like init.bro or __init__.bro or
> __package__.bro or ...)

That makes a lot of sense to me.  I've been thinking the same thing for a while, those wrapper scripts really litter things up for not much benefit.

> In addition, inside foo/* we could allow "@load
> ext1.bro" instead of "@load foo/ext1.bro".

Hm, I'm not totally sure I like this.  It could get confusing when two scripts have the same name.  If you want to load the software framework and you are in http/init.bro how do you do it if there is a file named http/software.bro?

> (Coincidentally, this would be quite like Python does it ... :)

I can go for copying syntax and idioms to make the language feel a bit more familiar and comfortable. :)