[Bro-Dev] Loading directories

Jonathan Siwek jsiwek at ncsa.illinois.edu
Thu Jun 2 07:45:46 PDT 2011

> > BTW, if foo.bro itself pulls in ext1.bro etc., then what if the
> > user doesn't *want* the ext1.bro functionality?
>
> The model is that by "@load foo" he gets the full set. If he doesn't
> want that, he can still pick his pieces individually ("@load
> foo/base.bro; @load foo/ext2.bro").
>
> The @unload may do it too, but I don't like that statement. :)

If it's just the name of @unload (I'd agree the sound of it is misleading), it could be offered as a different command that does the same thing.

I just think it's nice that a user can choose which approach is best for them: either a whitelist that picks individual pieces of a "package" or a blacklist that blocks only certain scripts of a "package".  The blacklist approach allows a user to automatically start loading new scripts that get added to a package in future releases, but the whitelist must be manually updated in that situation.

- Jon