[Bro-Dev] script loading implementation

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Thu Jun 16 12:05:45 PDT 2011

On Jun 16, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Jonathan Siwek wrote:

> 1) all paths branching off BROPATH that lead to the script-being-loaded should be considered as loaded

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.

> 2) inputs to @loads (and user arguments) without a .bro extension should also consider the .bro input form as loaded (currently it only does the reverse)

Does that gain much benefit?  Wouldn't the file with the same name as a directory already be inaccessible due to path ordering?

> Does this sound good, or were there any other ideas to simplify the script loading process (the current scan.l already seems to be somewhat complicated in the way this happens) ?

I've been thinking about this a bit some too and I've was considering removing the subpaths from the default BROPATH.  It would make it so that if you wanted to load the core http analysis, you'd have to load protocols/http.  I know that doesn't really address what you're talking about here, but it should help avoid any potential path problems in the default install.

http://www.bro-ids.org/