[Bro-Dev] IP6 addresses

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Tue Jun 21 06:18:57 PDT 2011

Bro's code currently has a number of "#ifdef IPv6" blocks that I'd
really like to get rid of. It's a pain to support two different
compile-time modes, and setups where IPv6 isn't used at all are
becoming more and more rare.

I think the main internal changes for that would be (1) making
addresses generally 128-bit wide, and (2) encapsulating the logic for
manipulating addresses in its own class, something like IPAddr, or so.

I'd like to hear if folks agree with that? (1) clearly has impact on
memory usage, but I'd say that's ok these days. Alternatively, we
could use (2) to do some clever scheme that stores less bytes for IPv4
addresses than for IPv6; but that would then quite likely have in turn
an impact on CPU performance and I don't see that that'd be worth it.

Thoughts?

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org