[Bro-Dev] IP6 addresses

Jonathan Siwek jsiwek at ncsa.illinois.edu
Tue Jun 21 13:25:19 PDT 2011

> > If there's any demand for this alternative, an idea I had was that
> > there could probably be a compile-time flag to switch between the
> > new IPAddr implementations.  But generally I think I'm with you on
> > just doing the consistent 128-bit width at cost of memory.
>
> I wouldn't do any compile time flags. That's what we have right now
> and it isn't pretty at all.

I probably wasn't clear, so restating in case:  I meant that I agreed with getting rid of the compile-time flag to toggle IPv6 support and just supporting it by default.  But a potential new compile-time flag could be offered to let users choose between the two different approaches Robin was talking about if we can't decide on one that's clearly better (CPU vs. memory tradeoff).  i.e. maybe it has to be implemented and profiled both ways anyway before a decision is made.