[Bro-Dev] $tag in notice_info

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Wed Mar 9 10:05:46 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 10:37 -0800, you wrote:

> I don't think we have to go that far. However,  I think that using
> 128bits might be helpful. We could then have a 64-bit counter and
> generate a 64bit Bro run-ID.

I'm not convinced we need the separate run-id. Note that while it
would allow to get all connections from the same run, it doesn't get
all the *logs* from the same run (because some logs may not have
connection-level semantics). That doesn't seem worth storing an
additional 64-bit value with every connection in almost every log to
me. Also, 128-bit is really long and ugly.

So I propose we go with a single 64-bit value that combines the run-id
and the conn-id into a likely unique value, something like in this
pseudo-code:

    struct { uint64 run_id; uint64 conn_count } id;
    id.run_id     = md5(hostname, timeofday, pid);
    id.conn_count = ++global_conn_counter;

    uint64 unique_val = crc64(id);

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org