[Bro-Dev] whitespace convention (tab vs. space)

Jonathan Siwek jsiwek at ncsa.illinois.edu
Thu Mar 17 08:49:58 PDT 2011

I'm having trouble deciding when to use tabs versus spaces for leading whitespace...

* Existing C/C++ source files seem to mostly use tabs, but it's mixed in some places.
* Python (broctl) source files seem to be mostly spaces
* reST source files for documentation seem to be spaces
* Bro policy script source files look like they mostly use tabs

Not sure if I missed any cases, but what's standard convention, if there is one?

I kind of dislike tabs in any case, but even more than that I dislike mixing tabs/spaces or having to switch between the two frequently.

I'm not sure if anyone has strong opinions, but really all I'm looking for is some general rules that I should follow.

- Jon