[Bro-Dev] whitespace convention (tab vs. space)

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Mar 17 10:17:33 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:10 -0700, you wrote:

> There's always expand/unexpand.

Without having used them, I think going from spaces to tabs
automatically is tricky, isn't it?  Or said differently: just by doing
the conversion, one doesn't necessarily get the layout "right".

> And I would guess that git has a checkin hook so you it should be easy
> to force this for leading whitespace without being too annoying.

That's right, and if we have a consensus that we want to enforce this,
I can activate it.

Note however that when I wrote "canonyfing formatting" I was thinking
more broadly in terms of all the little things everybody does
differently with source code (parentheses placement, level of
indentation, etc.). A good candidate for doing that seems to be
uncrustify[1] but that needs somebody spending some time with its
plenty of options.

Robin

[1] http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org