[Bro-Dev] template language

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Fri Mar 18 19:22:44 PDT 2011

I know some of you will laugh about this feature request, but I'm going to ask for it anyway. :)

I would like a BiF (or something) that would implement a minimal template language.  If it used the state tracking records to pull field values from, that would be even better!  I'll give an example...

type Log: record {
	a: count;
	b: string;
	c: addr;
};
global abc: Log = [$a=1, $b="test", $c=1.2.3.4];
print template_fmt("{{a}}-{{b}}-{{c}}", abc);

This would print...
	1-test-1.2.3.4

I already want to use something like this to implement file extraction one-liners so that people can arbitrarily name extracted files from the command line like this:

bro -r traffic.trace -e "HTTP_Extract::file_types=/application.*/ HTTP_Extract::file_name_template=\"{{id}}-{{url}}-{{filename}}.exe\"" http-extract

I think it would be useful in other ways too.  Especially if we end up moving to these state records that have a lot of data in them.

Any thoughts?