[Bro-Dev] bro script "public interface"

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Thu Mar 24 09:11:30 PDT 2011

On Mar 24, 2011, at 12:02 PM, Jonathan Siwek wrote:

> 1) Is this in line with the way standard scripts are being "modernized" ? I think a big part of it involves updating them to use the namespacing capabilities, but I think there's still desire to declare some things in the GLOBAL namespace?  That's why I'm still considering that situation as part of the script's "public interface".

There will at least be a number of things in bro.init declared in the global namespace that we really need to document, but I think you generally have it right.  I'm trying to avoid anything in the global namespace as I work on the script rewrite though.  The one exception is the notice.bro script because there is a well known function in the global namespace named NOTICE that is sort of the entry point for generating notices.

> 2) Are there any initial thoughts on whether the auto-generated documentation should even include the "private interface" stuff?

No, I wouldn't bother with it for this release.  If it turns out that it's something that people would like to have then we can add it, but I don't expect there will be a huge demand for it.