[Bro-Dev] Running bro with newer 10 GigE cards that Coalesce packeets in the hardware

William Jones jones at tacc.utexas.edu
Sun May 8 19:11:57 PDT 2011

This takes many packets and presents them to bro as one very large packet 10K.

MTU    Throughput Mbyutes/sec   Packet Rate       Bro Packet Rate
1500             470               300K	          24K
 512             287               560K             21K

There were no  drops reported and no errors that I would normal see on the nics if I turned off coalescing.

This does require  increasing the pcap snap length.

Can anyone think of any down side to running bro with packet coalescing nic's.