[Bro-Dev] BiF parsing index types

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Sun May 15 21:17:18 PDT 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 11:55 -0700, you wrote:

> I thought about that too. However the problem with treating the types as
> opaque is that the parser still has to parse over them as they contain
> keyword, tokens, braces, etc.

Wouldn't it only need to follow brackets and parentheses? That's
pretty straight-forward, and everything read while doing so would just
be concatenated into a single string.

> However, that's yet another brace-style....

Yeah, I'm already confused by those we have. :-) But can't we get away
here with a similar heuristic as above?

> Still, one "problem" is that if there is a syntax error in the record
> definition, you will only see it during Bro-runtime in the generated
> .bro file.

I could live with that as it's not something users are supposed to
mess with anyway. :) And our testing should already make sure that
this doesn't happen in released versions.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org