[Bro-Dev] BiF parsing index types

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Tue May 24 10:00:20 PDT 2011

On May 24, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Vern Paxson wrote:

> IIRC, it's used by Bro at startup to resolve hostnames in the policy
> scripts.  If those fail to resolve due to a serious problem (rather than
> just the name not existing), then arguably Bro is about to run with
> fundamentally incorrect/missing information, which is not very safe.

Agreed, but I would consider it a fairly minimal risk due to such extremely limited use of that feature anyway.  In the scripts I've been working on, I haven't even used it at all so the risk is even lower.

> That said, whether it should bomb out under such circumstances is
> still debatable.

I agree.  If I get a chance soon I'll commit a change to fastpath changing those to runtime warnings instead of internal errors.  Unless... Jon, would you like to do it?