[Bro-Dev] Notice::Info$src

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Tue Nov 1 08:57:27 PDT 2011

On Nov 1, 2011, at 11:17 AM, Robin Sommer wrote:

> I know we've talked about this a few times, but I don't remember what
> the final verdict was: what's the semantics of the "src" field in
> Notice::Info now?

More or less I stuck with the semantics that you had laid down.  $src is dually used (and obviously not documented well inline as you noticed) as the "source" address for packets/connection, but in the event that the notice is an attribute of a host the $src field is used for holding that address.  I don't feel like it's very optimal, but so far it's actually been working pretty well.

Are you reading the notice framework documentation I pushed out last night?

> But the Server_Found notice sets it like this:
>
>    NOTICE([$note=Server_Found,
>        $msg=fmt("%s: %s server on port %s%s", c$id$resp_h, s, c$id$resp_p, (known ? " (update)" : "")),
>        $p=c$id$resp_p, $sub=s, $conn=c,
>        $src=c$id$resp_h, $n=a]);

This is due to lingering inconsistency with notices that were written before I really started getting little conceptual issues like this surrounding the notice framework nailed down.  We should probably make another round of assessment of the notices before 2.0-release.  This was partly why I really wanted to get the new notice framework documented, I wanted everyone else to understand the slightly refined approach to notices I was taking.