[Bro-Dev] A few questions around Broccoli and its Ruby bindings

Christian Kreibich christian at icir.org
Wed Oct 12 15:53:18 PDT 2011

I guess it's a sign of the times, but it seems I'm unable to install
Broccoli these days. :) Perhaps somebody could help me out. I'm trying
to work on http://tracker.bro-ids.org/bro/ticket/606 and am trying to
reproduce the scenario Seth mentions in the ticket.

For starters, I've configured a fresh recursive git checkout of the bro
repository via

  $ ./configure --enable-debug --prefix=$HOME/inst/

This built fine. I'd now like to install just Broccoli (into my home),
so I went into build/aux/broccoli and did a "make install". Is that the
right thing to do? It seems so, because it gets close:

  $ make install
  [ 40%] Built target broccoli
  [ 80%] Built target broccoliStatic
  [ 86%] Built target broconftest
  [ 86%] Built target broconn
  [ 86%] Built target broenum
  [ 86%] Built target brohose
  [ 93%] Built target broping
  [ 93%] Built target brotable
  [100%] Built target _broccoli_intern
  [100%] Built target broccoli_ext
  Install the project...
  -- Install configuration: "Debug"
  -- Installing: /home/kreibich/inst/etc/broccoli.conf
  -- Installing: /home/kreibich/inst/bin/broccoli-config
  -- Installing: /home/kreibich/inst/lib/libbroccoli.so.3.0.0
  -- Installing: /home/kreibich/inst/lib/libbroccoli.so.3
  -- Installing: /home/kreibich/inst/lib/libbroccoli.so
  -- Set runtime path of "/home/kreibich/inst/lib/libbroccoli.so.3.0.0"
to "/home/kreibich/inst/lib"
  -- Installing: /home/kreibich/inst/lib/libbroccoli.a
  -- Installing: /home/kreibich/inst/include/broccoli.h
  -- Installing: /home/kreibich/inst/lib/broctl/broccoli.py
  -- Installing: /home/kreibich/inst/lib/broctl/_broccoli_intern.so
  -- Set runtime path of
"/home/kreibich/inst/lib/broctl/_broccoli_intern.so" to
"/home/kreibich/inst/lib"

  -- Installing: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/broccoli.rb
  CMake Error at bindings/broccoli-ruby/cmake_install.cmake:38 (FILE):
    file INSTALL cannot copy file

"/home/kreibich/devel/bro/aux/broccoli/bindings/broccoli-ruby/lib/broccoli.rb"
    to "/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/broccoli.rb".
  Call Stack (most recent call first):
    cmake_install.cmake:65 (INCLUDE)

  make: *** [install] Error 1

So it looks as though the Broccoli library installed fine but some Ruby
stuff still wanted to go into the system directory. Is that a deficiency
or am I not doing this right?

Fwiw, I tried to move on and checked out the broccoli-ruby repository
(which differs from bro/aux/broccoli/bindings/broccoli-ruby, correct? At
least the former seems to have way more content). This, when running the
same configure command, tells me it cannot find the Broccoli package.
broccoli-config is now installed, but I presume the package is referring
to something cmake-related that didn't yet get installed.

Help, thanks,
-C.