[Bro-Dev] A few questions around Broccoli and its Ruby bindings

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Wed Oct 12 17:07:41 PDT 2011

On Oct 12, 2011, at 6:53 PM, Christian Kreibich wrote:

> -- Installing: /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/broccoli.rb
> CMake Error at bindings/broccoli-ruby/cmake_install.cmake:38 (FILE):
>   file INSTALL cannot copy file
<snip>
> So it looks as though the Broccoli library installed fine but some Ruby
> stuff still wanted to go into the system directory. Is that a deficiency
> or am I not doing this right?

Yeah, I don't like how this works but I wasn't sure how to handle it better.  The ruby bindings always want to install to the system's ruby directory now (--prefix is currently ignored) because if I don't install them there it's a mess to use the library.  It's no different from any other language binding in that respect.  Perhaps there's a better way to handle this situation?

> Fwiw, I tried to move on and checked out the broccoli-ruby repository
> (which differs from bro/aux/broccoli/bindings/broccoli-ruby, correct? At
> least the former seems to have way more content). This, when running the
> same configure command, tells me it cannot find the Broccoli package.
> broccoli-config is now installed, but I presume the package is referring
> to something cmake-related that didn't yet get installed.

I guess that depends on if you're using the setup.rb script to install or using the cmake stuff to install (two way to install the same thing unfortunately).  I haven't tested the old setup.rb layout, but I think it should still work.  I do think that you will need to have broccoli-config in your path for either method though.

The repository shouldn't have anything different either, they're the same thing since the broccoli-ruby repository is just a submodule of broccoli.

(thanks for looking into the ticket btw!)