[Bro-Dev] A few questions around Broccoli and its Ruby bindings

Christian Kreibich christian at icir.org
Mon Oct 17 18:12:03 PDT 2011

On 10/12/2011 05:07 PM, Seth Hall wrote:
> Yeah, I don't like how this works but I wasn't sure how to handle it
> better.  The ruby bindings always want to install to the system's
> ruby directory now (--prefix is currently ignored) because if I don't
> install them there it's a mess to use the library.  It's no different
> from any other language binding in that respect.  Perhaps there's a
> better way to handle this situation?

I just noticed you already offer --disable-{python,ruby}, so at least
normally there is a way around the problem when one doesn't care about
the bindings.

Anyway, no biggie -- I'll install for now and move on to looking at the
actual bug.

> The repository shouldn't have anything different either, they're the
> same thing since the broccoli-ruby repository is just a submodule of
> broccoli.

That is so weird! I just wiped the two checkouts and repeated them, and
now the directory contents are indeed the same. I could swear I did the
same before, but apparently I didn't.

-C.