[Bro-Dev] snaplen and drops

William Jones jones at tacc.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 27 09:19:29 PDT 2011

On linux there set the two parameters that need to be tuned for bro:

net.core.rmem_max
net.core.rmem_default

This controls the buffer used by the raw socket interface. I would start at 20 Megabytes if the interface is a 1 GigE Ethernet 200 Megabyte if it a 10 GigE Ethernet.  Keep increasing it as till it longer has an effect on the drop rate.  I use "tcpdump -I <interface> -w <file>" to check the drop rate.   Let tcpdump run about 10 to 20 seconds and hit ctrl-c.   Tcpdump will report the packets dropped by the system and the total packets recived.

Increase net.core.netdev_max_backlog to 100000

There are some  1 GigE Ethernet nicks that just can't be tuned.