[Bro-Dev] [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] topic/seth/syslog-analyzer-updates: Handling binpac parsing failures in syslog analyzer. (5e95092)

Gregor Maier gregor at icir.org
Tue Sep 13 13:38:35 PDT 2011

> -	interp->NewData(orig, data, data + len);
> +	try
> +		{
> +		interp->NewData(orig, data, data + len);
> +		}
> +	catch ( const binpac::Exception&  e )
> +		{
> +		ProtocolViolation(fmt("Syslog analyzer BinPAC exception: %s", e.c_msg()));
> +		}
>   	}

You might want to omit adding the e.c_msg() to the ProtocolViolation().
Especially for the syslog analyzer that often a dump of the packet
contents that caused the parse error and it's generally not really
useful (*).

(If you want to keep it for debugging, I would do an ifdef and print
through a weird or such)

(*) That's how I found the format string bug in Reporter.cc

cu
Gregor
--
Gregor Maier