[Bro-Dev] [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] topic/robin/parallel-btest: Adding group "comm" to communication tests for parallelizing execution with new btest version. (32cb6d6)

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Sep 15 17:25:52 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 13:32 -0400, you wrote:

> Yeah, but a lot of alternative logging targets would only really use a
> subset of the tests.  Testing log rotation, for example, wouldn't make
> sense when dealing with an SQL backend.

Is it more tests that use the profile, or more that don't? I'd suspect
the former, which makes listing all tests to be used with a profile
quite cumbersome; and also error prone, because for each new test, one
would need to add it to potentially a number of profiles.

> So, how about this: in each profile directory, we add a 'tests' file.
> This file contains a list of all the tests corresponding to a given
> profile.

How about doing both: we do two files "include" and "exclude", each
listing tests. If the first exists, only those are run. If the second
exists, all are run except those. And if both exists, "include except
exclude" is run. Then each profile can decide on its own what makes
more sense.

>   The exception here would be the default profile, for which the tests
>   file would list all tests that *would not* run (since e.g. some
>   SQL-specific tests might not make sense when dealing with vanilla
>   log files, but it would be tedious to manually update this file
>   every time we added a new test).

I think the TEST-REQUIRES command is the better way to express that a
test a SQL-specific. Otherwise, the information gets separated from
the test itself.

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org