[Bro-Dev] Installation thoughts
robin at icir.org
Thu Sep 15 18:35:44 PDT 2011
Sorry for going back to the installation process but a few thoughts
about "make install" (feel free to remind me about past discussions, I
don't remember these very well anymore):
- It currently installs the following binaries:
adtrace bdcat bro broccoli-config
broctl capstats ftwire2bro nfcollector
That's seem too much to me, I think we should skip the bro-aux
programs by default. That would then leave us with just
bro broctl capstats trace-summary broccoli-config
We could add target "make install-aux" to get the rest.
- It creates "$prefix/logs". I don't remember whether we discussed
this already, but is that a good default location for logs?
- I noticed that we still install scripts that are now obsolete:
That leaves us in into $prefix/scripts with:
However, I'm almost thinking we should remove these as well; not
sure it's worth shipping them. Or, if we really want to keep them,
at least don't install by default (then perhaps as part of the
"install-aux" target from above).
- Was there a reason we install the spool pieces directly into
$prefix/spool/ instead of into $prefix/spool/bro/?
- test-all-policy.bro ends up in share/bro, which doesn't seem right.
- Do we really need to install share/bro/site/local-proxy.bro? It's
empty and unlikley that many people will want to edit it.
- Thoughts about local.bro:
* Why is "@load protocols/http/detect-webapps" commented out? We
should add a comment explaining when one would want to include it.
* "Requires that the Site::local_zones variable". We should add
where/how to do that. Perhaps an empty definition right in
Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL * Fax +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org
More information about the bro-dev