[Bro-Dev] [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] master: Updating some test baselines. (827dcea)

Jonathan Siwek jsiwek at ncsa.illinois.edu
Mon Sep 26 10:04:07 PDT 2011

> I think both would be good. The NOTES files is more helpful to change
> things in advance, i.e., "I just added a script; which tests do I need
> to adapt?".

Changing things in advance without actually running the tests to make sure it works as expected seems dangerous.  I was thinking that part of the standard development process would be for one to run the test suite themselves before requesting a merge (or doing a merge) to master.  And in that case, the question is answered by the act of just running the test suite.

If running the test suite manually isn't part of the process, then I don't think any extra amount of documentation is going to help prevent new script commits resulting in breaking of tests (the automated NMI B&T is best used to catch platform-specific problems, not as a general way to catch problems after they've already been committed.)