[Bro-Dev] Hui Lin_Design principle under broccoli

Hui Lin (Hugo) hlin33 at illinois.edu
Sat Feb 11 13:18:12 PST 2012

Hi,

During my experiment of my DNP3 analyzer, I found some phenomena. Perhaps
in-depth understanding of the broccoli can help me to explain this. I build
my experiment based on ping-pong example codes.  The experiment is like this

DNP3 analyzer is in machine 1,  periodically sending pong event (not
depends on the receiving of ping event but depends on other DNP3 event ) to
broccoli client in machine 2. (machine 1 and machine 2 are on the same
Ethernet). When the broccoli receives pong event,  the registered bro_pong
function execute some other matlab module which takes some time of
computations.

I find that if the periodically pong event is sent frequent enough, when
the first pong event is still processed by bro_pong function, the second
pong event will be received again. I am wondering how broccoli client
handle this type of situation? It simply drops the second pong events, or
store them into some buffer of the broccoli client and drops the event
until the buffer is full?

I am catching a deadline next Thursday, so quick response is really
appreciated.

Best,

Hui

However