[Bro-Dev] Hui Lin_synchronization problem with Bro

Hui Lin (Hugo) hlin33 at illinois.edu
Wed Feb 15 11:59:20 PST 2012

Hi,

I had confusions on how Bro behaves when a single instance is listening on
two ethernet interfaces. Here is what I encounter. I still based on my code
in broping.

I install a Bro on the same machine on this broping app. This broping does
two things in order:  sending ping events to loopback interface and then
send TCPs request to another machine and get response. I just use broping
to repeat this again and again and I don't insert any latency between each
iteration.

With Bro monitoring on these events from two ethernet interface, I find
that many ping events are received by Bro after the TCP request/responses
and this happens a lot. So Bro sees events in different orders than they
are sent.

Any comment on this phenomenon? Is that anyway, that I can handle situation?

Best,

Hui

--
Hui Lin