[Bro-Dev] [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] topic/gilbert/dtrace-probes: OSX support for dtrace built into bro. Probes supported are: (20fe478)

Clark, Gilbert gc355804 at ohio.edu
Fri Jul 13 15:53:11 PDT 2012

The way the probes are compiled, it *should* work with FreeBSD.  I'm in
the process of rebuilding my FreeBSD VM, so no way to easily test that
yet, though.

This will *not* work on Solaris.

In case anyone would like to play with this, I've attached a simple
bro-trace.d that will trace calls to bro-builtins.  On OS X, you'll *need*
to actually sudo -i to run the script; if you don't, END {} won't fire
(not sure why).  You'll also probably need 'dtrace -Z -s bro-trace.d' if
you run dtrace before bro is started.

By the way, to give some idea of overhead, I ran an analysis of the 700 MB
pcap here:

http://2009.hack.lu/index.php/InfoVisContest

via:

bro -r ~/Downloads/jubrowska-capture_1.cap

On my laptop (quad-core i7, 5400 RPM HD, 8 GB DDR3), without probes
compiled into bro, I got:

real	3m33.206s
user	4m15.808s
sys	0m25.539s

With probes compiled but nothing using them:

real	3m41.651s
user	4m18.873s
sys	0m25.759s

With bro-trace.d running while bro processed the above capture file:

real	4m29.553s
user	4m26.601s
sys	1m10.063s

--Gilbert