[Bro-Dev] #833: ICMPv6:Patch to add payload as a parameter to neighbor advertisements and neighbor solicitation events

Bro Tracker bro at tracker.bro-ids.org
Sat Jun 16 16:25:19 PDT 2012

#833: ICMPv6:Patch to add payload as a parameter to neighbor advertisements and
neighbor solicitation events
------------------------+--------------------
 Reporter:  aashish     |       Type:  Patch
Milestone:  Bro2.1      |  Component:  Bro
  Version:  git/master  |   Keywords:
------------------------+--------------------
 Patch to provide access to the ICMPv6 payload in the scripting layer for
 both neighbor advertisements and neighbor solicitation messages. Payload
 is needed for extracting mac-addresses which is useful for:

 1) to get bindings of mac with v6 IP addresses. This is needed to be able
 to dhcp jail IPv6 hosts.
 2) Alert on fake router advertisements
 3) Build Neighbor Caches and flag of spoofing etc.

 I believe instead of payload we can send just the mac-address to the
 scripting layer (extract it in ICMP.cc - instead of in the script events).
 I am open to that thought. Not sure if there is anything else, apart from
 the mac-address that we eventually might need from the payload in these
 events ( icmp_neighbor_solicitation and event icmp_neighbor_advertisement)

 Also, attaching a skeleton policy file to log IPv6 and mac-addr bindings.

--
Ticket URL: <http://tracker.bro-ids.org/bro/ticket/833>
Bro Tracker <http://tracker.bro-ids.org/bro>