[Bro-Dev] Problems parallelizing btests

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Mar 1 08:46:14 PST 2012

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 15:26 +0000, Adam wrote:

> Do they really need to be random or just unique for each test? If the
> latter, maybe the port could be derived from the test names which
> themselves could be numbered.

Just unique is indeed fine. How about a combination of the two: broctl
numbers all tests internally and passes the current test's number on
via an environment variable. The test can then derive a port from
that, and it's a bit more general in that we might end up using the
number for other purposes too.

The remaining piece is then using the environment variable to
configure the port for Bro and Broccoli. Would be nice if we could do
that centrally somehow, not manually in each test needing it.

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 16:07 +0000, Jon wrote:

> files together.  I'll go ahead and try that real quick and commit if
> it works out.

Sounds good, thanks!

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org