[Bro-Dev] open a pipe?

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Mar 26 08:24:46 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:10 -0400, you wrote:

> Woo.  We definitely need to think about this a bit more though.  I
> don't really like the perl-ism inherent in writing commands with pipes
> in the "file name".

I'm open to ideas. :) The "classic" non-Perl way would obvioysly be
just providing a popen() that returns an instance of type file.

> Do you have any intuitions yet on where we might run into issues with
> too many threads?

No. My hope is that current OSs can deal well with *many* threads, in
particular if they are all of low load. What we'll eventually need
though is a way to cleanup threads no longer used. That's not done
currently.

That said, adding one thread per IOSource doesn't make much of a
difference, it's the logging that creates potentially many threads.

If things really don't work out, we'll need to swtich to
one-thread-per-stream mode, but that gets more tricky on the backend
side. I would prefer to avoid that.

>   When I was playing around a few nights ago I actually created about
>   a hundred threads. :)

I'm not surprised. :)

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org