[Bro-Dev] DNS TXT Queries and the Cache File

Vlad Grigorescu vladg at cmu.edu
Sat Nov 3 15:01:33 PDT 2012

Thanks, Robin.

I tested master, and it wasn't working properly for me. I traced the problem to the simplification of DNS_Mgr::AsyncLookupName. For both lookups, it was using AsyncRequestNameMap. I split off the processing of TXT queries so that it'd use AsyncRequestTextMap. That was committed in: <https://github.com/grigorescu/bro/commit/a1c0b853fe180ee0dc97880653d2d274b7e08e21>.

I also have a couple of other small commits, which are ready in <https://github.com/grigorescu/bro/commits/topic/vladg/dns_txt_queries>. One has some fixes for the BIF, and one switches the MHR script to use TXT queries, with a newly introduced threshold.

I tested these manually, and they work for me. Unfortunately, I don't have any good ideas on how we'd go about writing some tests for the TXT queries - this was the one case where being able to load the cache from a file did seem useful.

  --Vlad