[Bro-Dev] Removing --use-binpac

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Apr 1 13:36:23 PDT 2013

I propose to remove this switch. We shouldn't have more than one
protocol analyzer per protocol; where we currently do, we should
decide if we want the C++ or BinPAC version.

The --use-binpac switch is currently used here (condensed version of
"grep FLAGS_use_binpac"):

    HTTP.h:                  http_event || http_stats) && !FLAGS_use_binpac; }
    HTTP-binpac.h:           { return (http_request || http_reply) && FLAGS_use_binpac; }

    DNS.h:                   ! FLAGS_use_binpac;
    DNS-binpac.h:            { return (dns_request || dns_full_request) && FLAGS_use_binpac; }
    DNS-binpac.h:            { return (dns_request || dns_full_request) && FLAGS_use_binpac; }

    DHCP-binpac.h:           { return dhcp_request && FLAGS_use_binpac; }

I suggest we do the following:

    - Remove the binpac version of HTTP (it's by default off and hence
      hardly used/tested by anybody).

    - Remove the binpac version of DNS (same reason).

    - Enable DHCP even without that flag (I'm actually surprised it
      isn't already, there's no alternative).

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin