[Bro-Dev] Proposed IOSource reorg

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Wed Dec 11 10:48:46 PST 2013

As I'm working on the reorg, I propose to do the following:

    - Remove flow sources completely for now. Per below, we should
      eventually turn them into a file analyzer and at it doesn't look
      worth the effort (nor the ugliness) to migrate them over to the
      new structure first only to throw them out later. I'd be
      surprised if anybody is using them anyways.

    - Remove the secondary path from the packet-layer code. We have
      discussed this before and at that time decided for keeping the
      code; see https://bro-tracker.atlassian.net/browse/BIT-434

      However, I propose to go ahead and remove now because (1) it
      doesn't really fit the new structure of making the API (mostly)
      pcap-independent (it never really fit in well in the first
      place, and has made the code a lot more complex); (2)
      large-conns.bro seems to be the only actual use case, which we
      don't ship with 2.x anymore, and I'm not convinced that by
      itself warrants a separate data path (can we find a different
      solution to the problem?); and (3) it would be quite a bit of
      additional effort to port the code and make sure it still works
      (we don't have any tests, not surprisingly).

Thoughts?

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin