[Bro-Dev] Plugin branch status

Siwek, Jonathan Luke jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed Jun 5 14:36:56 PDT 2013

On May 17, 2013, at 8:17 PM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:

> what we'll need to do is switching from a purely file-based model to
> documenting semantic groups, like a specific analyzer.

What would be the minimum we could get away with for now?  I'm thinking:

1) Replace the "Built-In Functions (BIFs)" bullet under "Script Reference" with a "Plugin Reference" bullet.  (better name to use here?)

2) The Plugin Reference page will have a section for each plugin.

3) Each plugin section lists its components (e.g. protocol analyzer w/ tag declaration) and BIF-items.

4) For the BIF-items, the reST markup would just use some directive to duplicate the content from where they're originally declared (the per-file documentation).  Alternatively it could just be a link to that declaration; I'll probably try that first since it's easier, but I feel like it won't be enough.

I want to avoid doing too much that I'd just throw away when I do the Broxygen overhaul (config files + sphinx directives), but I think at least this much will be re-usable as a sort of "plugin index" target.  If there's more we need to do than have a new "plugin index", I think I should just start working on the Broxygen overhaul/rewrite.  I'll probably be doing that soon anyway, but didn't expect to fit it in before next release.