[Bro-Dev] Plugin branch status

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Jun 6 10:23:14 PDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 21:36 +0000, you wrote:

> 1) Replace the "Built-In Functions (BIFs)" bullet under "Script Reference" with a "Plugin Reference" bullet.  (better name to use here?)

We could just call it "Analyzer Reference" for now because there
aren't any other plugins.

I'm not quite sure how it should look longer term once we have
different component types, in particular because a single plugin can
provide different ones (like a reader and writer). We probably want to
group them by component type eventually, plus a separate plugin index
listing all of a plugin's components.

> 2) The Plugin Reference page will have a section for each plugin.

Ack.

> 3) Each plugin section lists its components (e.g. protocol analyzer w/ tag declaration) and BIF-items.

Ack.

(For later: we should add support for a README.rst coming with a
plugin that would go to the top of its section; and probably also
additional README.rst for each component it provides).

> 4) For the BIF-items, the reST markup would just use some directive to
> duplicate the content from where they're originally declared (the
> per-file documentation).  Alternatively it could just be a link to
> that declaration; I'll probably try that first since it's easier, but
> I feel like it won't be enough.

It would be nice to have the content in there directly; duplicating is
fine for now if it doesn't mess up indexing/linking etc?

So, yes, I think this a good short-term compromise. I certainly want
avoid doing something now that we'd just be throwing away soon, and I
see that doing the full Broxygen overhaul will take more time.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin