[Bro-Dev] Plugin branch status

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Jun 6 11:48:59 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 18:14 +0000, you wrote:

> I expect there be File Analyzer plugins real soon.

Looking forward to them. :)

> Separating by "plugin type" feels awkward because the type distinction
> doesn't actually exist.  It's implicit by peeking at the components
> that belong to a plugin, but they aren't guaranteed to be all the same
> component type in the future.

That's why I thought to eventually group by component type, e.g.:

    Analyzers
    =========

        HTTP
        DNS

    Readers
    =======

    Writers
    =======

Independent of which plugin the components are coming from, they'd all
be listed in the corresponding section. I imagine this to be the main
view users will use for the documention (e.g., "what writers can I
use?", "what functionality does the ascii writer provide?")

And then we'd add a separate plugin list that links to there:

    Plugins
    =======

        SQLite
        ------
            Reader -> [reader page]
            Writer -> [writer page]

You're bringing up a good point regarding the bifs though, as they are
indeed associdated with the plugin, not the components. Not sure where
to fit them in.

Anyways, I agree with this:

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin