[Bro-Dev] Bloom filter merging

Soumya Basu soumyabasu8 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 20:50:27 PDT 2013

I'm not entirely sure how much of a concern this is, but hashing
solely based on the name would make the bloom filters vulnerable to
attack since it's more predictable what the hash values are. Ideally,
the names would be something simple and easily identifies what the
filter is counting (from how I picture the names being used).

That would put pressure on the user to choose names that are random or
salted to keep the filters secure. I do like the idea of not setting
an environment variable, but I'm not sure how much of a benefit it is.

Thanks,
Soumya Basu