[Bro-Dev] #968: Add bytestring_to_uint16, uint32, uint64 functions

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Tue Mar 19 16:05:59 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 18:41 -0000, you wrote:

>  With that patch you can do this:
>  {{{
>    print bytestring_to_count(reverse("\x30\x39")); # 12345
>    print bytestring_to_count(reverse("\x39\x30")); # 12345
>  }}}
>
>  Do you think that will solve the problem? Also, does bro function support
>  "optional" arguments? I personally think that it's annoying to specify the
>  endianness for every call if it cannot be optional.

I can see the reverse() function for strings generally be useful but I
don't think it's a nice solution for converting endianess with
bytestring_to_count(). A default/optional argument would indeed be the
best approach I think. We've been kicking that idea around a few times
already, and I've now openened a ticket for that. For the time being,
I'd indeed go with the explicit endianess argument and then switch
over to an optional argument once we have that.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 * robin at icir.org