[Bro-Dev] Plugin branch status

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu May 30 15:33:15 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 22:09 +0000, you wrote:

> other than what their OS repos provide.  IMO, that's fine, just not
> sure if it was anticipated and fine with others as well?

Interesting that you ask, I was actually about to write an email about
this. :)

I'm aware that this a recent CMake feature. I have used it for now
because it feels like the right thing to do here. The alternative
would be creating lots of *.a libraries and then linking them all in.
That should work too, but it's not really nice.  (One probably could
also manually collect all the *.o across the sub-dirs, but that's even
worse I think).

I wanted to pose exactly the question you bring up: what cmake version
can we require these days?

I'd be reluctant to up the requirement if it meant installing new
cmakes for a large share of our users. From your mail it sounds like
that could be the the case. If so, I think I'd actually prefer the *.a
version for now and we could switch over to object libraries at a
later time as >= 2.8.8 becomes more common.

Let me know any other feedback you have on the branch. I'll do a
little bit more cleanup and documetnation, maybe even later today.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin