[Bro-Dev] CBrAN Bro Control Plugin

Siwek, Jonathan Luke jsiwek at illinois.edu
Tue Oct 15 09:46:39 PDT 2013

On Oct 14, 2013, at 7:24 PM, anthony kasza <anthony.kasza at gmail.com> wrote:

> My thought was for the universe database to contain the following
> pieces of information (taken from the project page): name, URL,
> author, tags, package version, Bro version, dependencies, license,
> description.

I think that sounds ok, though details of how package versioning will work may need some fleshing out up front.  Maybe one question to answer first:  what level of stability and trustworthiness is expected from the universe?

I'd say a git commit hash for versioning could give some of both.  Stability in that external repos can progress as fast as they want, but the universe metadata should still point to a valid version.  Trustworthiness in that it's known a universe maintainer reviewed the code associated with the hash.  Problem is that a git commit hash is per-repository, but per-package versioning might be needed (i.e. limit of one package per repo w/ this scheme).

- Jon