[Bro-Dev] Draft API for new communication library

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Oct 18 08:31:10 PDT 2013

> http://koti.kapsi.fi/~jpa/nanopb/

Nice, that looks like an interesting option.

Btw, another advantage of using something like PB is that it would
make the serialization more portable. I believe this will be one part
where we'll have to keep separate implementastions for Bro and
external clients (because in Bro everythingn is already stored in Val,
and if we'd use an additional C interface we'd have to convert
everything over first; might just as well serialize it directly, but
then having a "middle layer" like PB would certainly be helpful).

Another alternative would be reusing the code that logging and input
framework currently deploy for reading/writing Vals. That was my
initial thought, but it limits us to types they support (essentially
things which can be easily represented in ASCII); probably not ideal.

On the other hand, maybe we could switch logging/input over to using
the new implementation we come up with here instead. It would
certainly be nice to unify the whole serialization code in one place.

Robin

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin