[Bro-Dev] functions truly as globals?

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Thu Sep 26 13:06:25 PDT 2013

At scriptland, when we define function prototypes we define them as globals but they seem to be turned into consts in the core.  Does it make sense to actually make them globals?

It would allow me to do runtime monkey patching… which I'm not saying I'd ever do (wink, wink).  But it would make runtime instrumentation and measurement significantly easier for some things.  Here's an example of what I'd like to be able to do…

global some_func: function(): string;

function some_func(): string
	{
	return "Original function";
	}

function my_func(): string
	{
	return "monkey patched!";
	}

event bro_init()
	{
	some_func = my_func;
	some_func();
	}

Hopefully this would print "monkey patched!".

Are there any conceptually any major problems with doing this?  We should still be able to do parse time typing correctly in this case too I believe.

http://www.bro.org/