[Bro-Dev] Organizing plugins (Re: [JIRA] (BIT-1222) topic/robin/reader-writer-plugins)

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Wed Aug 6 09:26:06 PDT 2014

On Aug 5, 2014, at 5:33 PM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:

> So, I'm with you that should figure this all out, but I would prefer
> to do that as a separate step that for now leaves the existing
> structure in place until we know these answers.

I think you gave a good justification.  Personally I am still a bit mixed on if we should even include the scripts that we put in base/protocols/ in with the analyzers.  I can actually see real justification for not including them.

>> And libgeoip!
>
> Good point, although this would hurt a bit more: geoip is optional but
> still pretty standard functionality that we would now require people
> to install separately ... So while I agree that this should move into
> its own plugin as well, maybe that's also somethign for later

Fair enough.  Eventually when this reorganization happens in earnest I think we'll have to use the rule of thumb we discussed yesterday.  Always seek to shorten init-bare.bro.

http://www.bro.org/