[Bro-Dev] Organizing plugins (Re: [JIRA] (BIT-1222) topic/robin/reader-writer-plugins)

Clark, Gilbert gc355804 at ohio.edu
Wed Aug 6 14:38:59 PDT 2014

Are there any plans for packaging plugins and pushing those into various distributions' repositories (e.g. CentOS, Debian, FreeBSD)?  'sudo yum install bro-2.4-elasticsearch-writer' seems like it would be pretty convenient for users, assuming there are plans to support it.  On a related note, it seems like individual maintainers could acquire blessed status pretty quickly without getting the bro team involved by pushing their individual plugin upstream somewhere: anything that 'yum search bro-plugin' (or equivalent) yields would probably be assumed to be somewhat stable (or at least stable enough to install without thinking about it too hard first :)

Are there plans to package a bro-2.4-plugin-devel or equivalent to make it possible for the folks who have installed bro via e.g. apt or yum to build plugins without having to also pull down and compile a complete version of bro?  I think this could make plugin development quite a bit more accessible for new folks, assuming the overhead of maintaining such a package wasn't unreasonable.

-Gilbert