[Bro-Dev] Looking on feedback on PACF/reaction framework

Vlad Grigorescu vlad at grigorescu.org
Thu Jun 19 12:21:42 PDT 2014

This lines up pretty well with the features that I'd want from this. I
think the API is at a good level to be usable yet customizable.

A few comments I had:

- I believe Rule$target should be of type Target and not TargetType (which
is undefined).

- Some other options to consider for EntityType:
    * Subnet
    * MAC address
    * User? (I believe some devices allow filtering based on user, if they
authenticate via VPN, 802.1X or something similar)

- Should Rule have both orig and resp Entity fields? i.e. I could see a use
case for filtering traffic from an IP, to it, or both.

- More generally, should Rule have an optional BPF? Perhaps this is one of
the use cases of arg_str.

I've also been considering a feature that would allow a clean shutdown of a
worker node. I'm not sure if this would be even remotely possible, or if
it'd be a job for the PACF, but what I envision is Bro reaching out to the
hardware frontend, removing one of the active output ports from the load
balancing, and somehow transferring state on the in-progress connections to
the other workers. The reverse would also be nice (adding a worker node),
though there'd be more state to transfer.

  --Vlad