[Bro-Dev] Time for C++11?

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Jun 23 11:35:36 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:13 -0700, you wrote:

> I would go one step further: let's aim for C++14.

I was expecting you to propose that. :-)

I'm very reluctant to rely on a cutting-edge compiler for compiling
Bro. There's really not much worse for an open-source tool than
downloading the code and then realizing that your system's compiler is
too old to handle it. I think we need to ensure that most people will
be able to directly download and compile Bro, without having to worry
about much else. My hope is that we are that point now for C++11
(potentially by skipping use of some specific features), but clang 3.4
and gcc 4.9 sound like a stretch to me ... We should probably reverse
the order of my list: survey OSs first what they ship these days, then
decide what we are fine requiring.

This looks like a nice C++11 summary for gcc 4.8 and clang 3.3:

    http://cpprocks.com/c11-compiler-support-shootout-visual-studio-gcc-clang-intel/

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin